Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Confidence



As my friends know, confidence is something that I am often lacking.  Sometimes I feel very good about myself and other times I have a hard time walking out of the door in the morning.  When I stopped wearing a wig, the first day I went full time, my confidence took a big hit.  I felt prior to that time most people didn’t notice, but after I stopped wearing my wig I got read all the time.  It has been almost two months since I went full time, my hair is getting longer, and my confidence has grown.  “Sure it has” would probably be the response from my friends.  But it has!  Although I knew that many people would realize that I was a transsexual, passing was very important and when I got read it would be a hit to my confidence.  Recently I decided that I didn’t care about passing anymore and was comfortable being a transsexual.  That isn’t to say that I don’t want to pass, that is still preferred and I eventually hope to reach the point where I pass all the time, but I no longer care about people noticing.  

Work has been the hardest because everyone knew me prior to my transition, but I am growing more comfortable each day.  Today I was involved in a drill at the City Emergency Operations Center (EOC) which is located at the police department.  The drill went most of the day and involved over 40 City employees from various departments in the City, including Electric, Water Resources, Transportation and Fire.  Because it was at the police department, and I was the police representative, every time someone arrived I had to walk them from the main lobby to the EOC, which included a ride with them in the elevator.  I was the host so I interacted with everyone a lot and although it was very obvious that I was transsexual no one acted any different.  Other than a few of the Fire department employees, the other City employees would not have known ahead of time and would probably be shocked that there was a transsexual City employee.  But no one acted any different and even though I am sure there was some conversation afterwards, I was very comfortable.

Sure there are some days where I need to give myself a mini pep talk before I walk into work or leave my office, but my confidence has improved significantly in the last few weeks, and I expect that to continue. 

2 comments:

  1. I have been reading your comments on the T-Forum on CD.com where you post as Steph1964. I have been banned there after protesting their bully tactics but continue to follow in a form of morbid curiosity, kind of lie watch a train or plane crash in slow motion.

    Despite the fact that there seem to be just a couple of people there that have maybe got it together to some limited degree, most seem lost in a pink fog of gender transition.

    In the hoe of offering just a modicum of reality to the 'conversation' there I was hoping you might most this following link. The path described there was not my path as I had my SRS when I was 23 and have been married pretty much ever since. Nevertheless I am thinking that perhaps you and your peers on CD.com might find it useful and of relevance.

    JAS

    http://web.archive.org/web/20100127113109/http://www.mtftransition.com/t-girl.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. When your confidence shines through it is a beautiful thing! Like when you put on a dress and heels and own the dance floor, or allow yourself to be interviewed for a magazine article so that other people in your department and everywhere can place their feet in the footsteps that you already walked in without quite as much fear as they would have otherwise, and especially when your smile stretches all the way accross your face because you are simply "being you" in the moment and enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete